If you have a job that offers a decent living and comes with a fairly harmless group of colleagues, the odds are that you may not even be contemplating changing your job. Do you know why? It’s because you are content with what you have and, believe it or not, being content with your job is the root of all career advancement evil.
Although we have no intention to unsettle you, remaining on a career path that is stagnant is the definition of a danger zone. You only need to take a long and hard look at the stories you can tell of your accomplishments, the lessons you learnt and the storms you weathered in the last -say- 6 months to understand why. If the stories you can remember are too dull to tell, then you are probably wasting away in a job that has hardly any return on your time and energy investment.
There is a world outside the limited confines of your current workplace that is everchanging, challenging and exciting. So, it is probably time you joined in and -at the very least- explored your options. In case you are still feeling that you are not willing to abdicate the security of your current employment, we can only advise that you read the following list of warning signs. If you experience any of these, you should definitely start looking for a new job.
1. You feel constantly stressed and drained. You derive no satisfaction no matter how many projects you finish while your passion for what you do is virtually extinguished. You just go through a succession of tasks the same way an automaton would.
2. You have been given limited to zero opportunities to explore your career potential and develop your skills. This usually means that career advancement at your current employment is out of the question.
3. The moment you step into the office, you are transformed into a person that neither you nor the people you love would recognize. You may try to repress it but this is not normal. You should find a workplace where you can be yourself.
4. You never stop worrying about work, not even at weekends when you are supposed to get some well-deserved rest.
5. Monday mornings are your worst nightmare.