Starting a new job in a new company is always an interesting experience – Some find it exciting, while for others it can be nerve-wrecking. If you fall in the latter group, fret not, and read on.
Chances are that you have already mentally prepared yourself for your new start leading up to your first day – You have come to terms with the potential change of company culture, dress code, team, and duties. However, what should you do and be mindful of once you actually commence your new employment?
Here are a few tips to make your first day effortless.
- Arrive a little early and get a good feel of the place. Be mindful of specific entrances and exits, parking spots, the elevators and stairs, as well as the cafeteria and the lavatories. Allow yourself time to get comfortable with your new surroundings.
- Be pleasant and make small talk with everyone you stumble across on your way to your office desk, be it the security guard, receptionist, and colleagues from other departments.
- Have a small notebook with you in case you need to take notes during the onboarding process regarding company policies, job procedures, IT related matters, etc.
- Be observant of how your colleagues interact with each other and slowly adapt accordingly, whilst also remaining true to your own flare and communication style.
- Don’t be shy to ask questions and enquire about various things, including about trivial things such as how the coffee machine works, what time everyone has lunch, how to use the photocopier, and anything else you think of. Your learning starts from day one, and rest assured that your employer wants you to start feeling comfortable in your new surrounding from early on.